Attention disabled veterans: you should know about the property tax exemptions for which you might be eligible.
Veterans have risked their lives to protect our rights, our freedoms, and our liberties. When they return, they are forced to adapt back to our way of life and sometimes have difficulty making the adjustment; fighting for freedom will do that to you. Fortunately, there are exemptions which they may qualify for to help them save money when they most need it. Do you know if you or a family member is qualified to receive the Disabled Veterans’ Exemption?
Disabled Veterans’ Exemption
This exemption reduces the property tax liability for qualified veterans who, due to a military-related injury or disease, have been rated 100 percent disabled or are being compensated at the 100 percent rate due to unemployability. A qualified veteran is one that has been honorably discharged from one of the military services that is listed in the California Constitution (Article XIII, section 3(o)).
Definition of Disabled Veteran
A disabled veteran is any veteran who meets these criteria:
- Is blind in both eyes, meaning having a vision capacity of 5/200 or less, or a visual field of 5 degrees or less.
- Has lost the use of two or more limbs, meaning lost by paralysis, amputation, progressive muscular dystrophies, or ankyloses.
- Is completely disabled due to an injury or disease incurred while they served in the military. Totally Disabled is classified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as being 100 percent disabled or rating 100 percent unable to gain a substantial occupation.
The spouse of a deceased veteran may also qualify for the Disabled Veterans’ Exemption if his or her spouse would meet any of these conditions:
- Would have qualified if he or she had been alive on January 1, 1977.
- Died from a service-connected injury or disease.
- Qualified for the exemption during his or her lifetime.
As a veteran who risked your lives for us normal civilians, you deserve to receive these exemptions! Contact Andraya Coulter for all of your home loan needs in Walnut Creek and all of California.